In the world of academic publishing, getting your journal and articles indexed by Google Scholar is a significant step toward increasing your visibility and readership. Google Scholar is a widely used search engine for scholarly articles, making it a crucial platform for academic publishers. However, as of December 2nd, 2022, Google Scholar has ceased manual registration.
This means that publishers need to ensure that their content is indexed automatically, which primarily depends on the indexing capabilities of their publishing platform. In this article, we will discuss how to ensure automatic registration with Google Scholar using the Open Journal Systems (OJS) platform. We will also cover what publishers should consider when setting up their OJS-based journal to enhance their chances of automatic indexing.
Understanding Google Scholar Indexing #
Before delving into the details of getting indexed with OJS, let’s briefly understand the process of Google Scholar indexing.
Google Scholar uses automated software programs known as “bots” or “crawlers” to collect and index academic content available on the internet. These bots visit websites, analyze the content, and then add it to the Google Scholar database. To ensure that your content is included in Google Scholar’s index, your publishing platform needs to be structured in a way that makes it easy for these bots to discover, access, and understand your content.
Using OJS for Automatic Google Scholar Indexing #
OJS is an open-source platform widely used by academic publishers for managing and publishing scholarly journals. It is equipped with several features that can help your journal and articles get automatically indexed by Google Scholar.
- Optimize Metadata: One of the key elements in Google Scholar indexing is metadata. OJS allows you to input detailed metadata for each article, including titles, authors, abstracts, keywords, and more. Make sure your metadata is accurate, complete, and follows the standard academic formatting.
- XML Support: Google Scholar prefers articles in XML format. OJS supports the creation of XML files for each article, which can improve the chances of automatic indexing. Ensure that your articles are properly formatted in XML.
- Structured Data Markup: OJS allows you to include structured data markup in your journal articles. Implementing structured data can make it easier for Google Scholar’s bots to understand the content and context of your articles.
- Persistent Identifiers: Ensure that your articles have persistent identifiers, such as DOIs (Digital Object Identifiers). OJS supports DOIs, which are crucial for academic content discoverability.
- Full-Text Accessibility: Make sure that the full text of your articles is accessible to both humans and search engine bots. Google Scholar indexes full-text content, and having it readily available on your OJS platform is essential.
- Regular Updates: Keep your OJS platform and articles up-to-date. Google Scholar tends to favor fresh and regularly updated content.
- Customization and SEO: Customize your OJS platform to make it more search engine friendly. Consider SEO practices to improve your journal’s visibility.
Enhancing Website & Theme Compatibility for Google Scholar Tag Indexing #
- Open one of your article detail pages.
- Access the page’s source code by pressing Ctrl + U.
- After clicking this shortcut, you will notice a new additional initial parameter in your browser’s address bar, which appears as “view-source:”.
By confirming your website and theme’s compatibility using this method, you can ensure that your OJS platform is structured in a way that aligns seamlessly with Google Scholar’s indexing requirements. This step is vital to prevent any hindrance in the indexing process and to ensure that your articles are easily discoverable by Google Scholar’s crawlers. As you can observe below, the same article has been successfully indexed in Google Scholar:
What Publishers Should Care About #
Besides optimizing your OJS platform for automatic Google Scholar indexing, there are several other considerations that publishers should keep in mind:
- Quality of Content: Google Scholar prioritizes high-quality, peer-reviewed academic content. Ensure that your journal maintains rigorous editorial standards.
- Citations and References: Encourage authors to include proper citations and references in their articles. Google Scholar values content with clear academic citations.
- Author Profiles: Encourage your authors to create and maintain Google Scholar profiles, which can link their published work to your journal.
- Open Access: Consider offering open access options for your articles. Google Scholar may prefer open-access content over content with paywalls.
- Consistency: Maintain consistency in your publishing schedule. Regularly publishing new content can help improve your ranking in Google Scholar.
- Engage with the Academic Community: Actively engage with the academic community through conferences, social media, and other channels. Building a strong academic network can enhance the visibility of your journal.
Our Services for OJS #
If you are a publisher using OJS and need assistance in optimizing your platform for Google Scholar indexing, we offer a range of services to meet your needs:
- OJS-Based Journal Website Design: We can help you design a user-friendly and visually appealing OJS platform that complies with the latest web standards. A well-designed platform not only enhances the user experience but also contributes to better search engine visibility.
- OJS Customization: Tailor your OJS platform to your specific requirements, including custom plugins and features to enhance SEO and indexing. Customization ensures that your OJS system aligns perfectly with your journal’s goals.
- OJS Upgrade: Keep your OJS platform up to date with the latest version to leverage the most recent features and improvements. Staying current with OJS ensures that your platform remains efficient and optimized for Google Scholar indexing.
- OJS Support: Our dedicated support team is available to assist you with any OJS-related queries or issues, ensuring your platform runs smoothly. We’re here to troubleshoot problems and provide guidance for a seamless publishing experience.
- OJS Hosting: Hosting your OJS platform with us guarantees reliable and high-performance hosting services. We offer optimized hosting environments that ensure your OJS platform runs smoothly, reducing downtime and improving user experience.
- OJS Training: Proper training is crucial for effectively managing your OJS platform. We provide comprehensive training to your editorial team, authors, and reviewers, helping them navigate the system efficiently, from article submission to peer review and publication.
Conclusion: Getting your journal and articles indexed by Google Scholar using OJS is essential for academic publishers. By following the guidelines mentioned in this article and considering the additional factors that influence indexing, you can improve your chances of automatic registration. If you require assistance or have any questions regarding OJS services, including OJS Hosting and OJS Training, feel free to reach out to us. We are here to support your academic publishing endeavors and help you achieve greater visibility within the scholarly community.